In recent years, Python has grown in importance for the areas of numeric simulation and scientific computing. Python is used in a variety of projects (e.g. Numpy, Scipy, Matplotlib), as a scripting language in finite element codes, as a system language in Linux and in web development (e.g. Django).
In the course
Python: Fundamental Concepts at TU Graz you will learn the basics that you need to work successfully with Python. You can apply what you learn anywhere and without additional costs, because all of the software used is free.
- You will learn the essentials of working with Python (Python 2 and Python 3):
- Simple data types, containers
- Imperative aspects: control structures (if, for, while), functions
- Object-oriented aspects: classes, objects, methods, inheritance, operator overloading, exceptions
- Functional aspects: lambda operator, map, filter, list comprehensions, iterators, generators
- In/output, file handling
- Modules and name spaces
- Special characteristics of the language: duck typing, doc strings, manipulation of objects and classes in runtime
- You will develop realistic and meaningful examples
- You will learn to use the possibilities of various features of Python.
- Experts from research and development who want to use Python in their work
- Software developers and other people who are interested in learning the basics of programming in Python
To participate in this course, you do not have to satisfy any special criteria.