TU Graz/ Studying and Teaching/ Studying Internationally/

Studying at TU Graz

Information and Advice

Phone: +43 316 873 6422

Phone: +43 316 873 6426

Phone: +43 316 873 6429

Phone: +43 316 873 6418

Phone: +43 316 873 6425

What can I study at TU Graz?

Here is an overview of all degree programmes offered at TU Graz: Degree and Certificate Programmes

When does the semester begin and end and when are the holidays?

In the academic calendar you can find the important dates of the TU Graz academic year.

Which online system is used at TU Graz?

The online management and information system used at TU Graz, TUGRAZonline, allows you to organise everything related to your studies. Once you have received your access data, you can register here: TUGRAZonline.
Even without registering, you can find lots of information about studying at TU Graz via TUGRAZonline. Tip: Allow the pop-ups in your browser for TUGRAZonline! More detailed information about the features of TUGRAZonline can be found in the intranet TU4U.

Do I need to know the German language to be able to study at TU Graz?

Courses offered as part of the Bachelor’s degree programmes are mainly held in German at TU Graz. However, there are also a variety of Master’s programmes that include courses offered in the English language. Depending on the courses you choose (defined in your Learning Agreement), you may have to prove sufficient knowledge of the German or English language. Exception: native English or German speakers do not need to provide this proof. See language certificates

Which language certificates can be accepted?

A sufficient knowledge of German or English must be confirmed by the possession of a certificate. Minimum requirement: Level B2, according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages. The language certificate needs to show your proficiency in all 4 skills (listening, reading, speaking, writing) and must not be more than 2 years old.

Accepted language tests in English:

  • TOEFL: iBT: at least 75 points OR  IELTS: at least 6.0
  • Cambridge ESOL First Certificate in English (FCE) OR Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) OR Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE)
  • TOEIC: Section listening and reading: at least 785 points; Section speaking and writing: at least 310 points. Students must submit the test results for both sections in order to be accepted.
  • Duolingo: level B2 or higher
  • Certificates that have been issued by a language proficiency centre or a language institute at a university (level B2 or higher)   

Accepted language tests in German:

  • ÖSD: level B2 or higher; Goethe Certificate: level B2 or higher; Duolingo: level B2 or higher
  • Certificates that have been issued by a language proficiency centre or a language institute at a university (level B2 or higher)   

If you are not able to submit a certificate, you must file a Language Proficiency Report. Attention: this Language Proficiency Report is not sufficient for an application for the Best of South East programme!

Which courses can I attend?

You are allowed to attend all courses offered at TU Graz. Read the course descriptions carefully! It is your responsibility to choose courses for which you meet the requirements with regard to content-based knowledge.

Attention - Exception: Courses offered by the Faculty of Architecture can only be attended by students pursuing a degree programme in architecture.

Regular workload per semester is 30 ECTS credit points.

For exchange students, a minimum of 16 ECTS credit points is required.

Which courses are given in the English language at TU Graz?

Numerous English-language Master's degree programmes are offered at TU Graz. Find courses in English on www.tugraz.at/go/search-courses.

How do I choose courses?

As a student at TU Graz, you can build your degree programme by combining individual courses by yourself.  

To search for courses:
Select the degree programme and click on the semester plan. By clicking on a semester, you will see a list of the courses offered. Clicking on the course allows you to read the descriptions in English or German.

Course information TU Graz


  • Exchange students always receive the highest possible number of ECTS credits that are awarded for each course.   In the online application, enter the courses that you would like to take during your stay at TU Graz in the Learning Agreement.
  • The curriculum of the respective study programme is also linked on the website under the respective study programme which provides additional information about the teaching content. 

When applying online, you specify in the Learning Agreement the courses you would like to take during your stay at TU Graz.

If you have any open questions regarding the course content, you can also contact the Departmental Coordinators.

Can I write my Master’s thesis or PhD dissertation, or complete my final project, at TU Graz?

Yes, in this case it is necessary to gain a confirmation from a supervisor of a TU Graz institute as part of your application.  

If you need help, the International Office – Welcome Center might be able to assist.

Can I attend courses held at other universities in Graz?

Yes, TU Graz students can also attend courses at the University of Graz, Medical University of Graz and the University of Music and Performing Arts Graz. To attend these courses, they need to co-register at the respective university. This also applies to German language courses. 

How does this work? Click on the links below:

Co-registration with these universities is only possible when you are registered with TU Graz as your main university in Austria and have received your matriculation number.

Is there a student identification card?

Yes. The TU Graz card is the official student ID card at TU Graz and is, according to data you enter during the online application process, issued and sent out by the International Office – Welcome Center. The Registration Office creates this card in a smart card format imprinted with your data. More information can be found after your arrival via the intranet TU4U: the TU Graz card

I still have questions...what should I do?

There are many different ways that you can find answers to your questions:

  • Find out more about Austria, the city of Graz, entry requirements etc. at Living in Graz for Students.
  • After you arrive in Graz, attend the Welcome Events. You will have plenty of opportunities to ask questions there.
  • Your HTU-Mentor is a good resource for information.
  • The HTU Student Representatives know all about the various degree programmes offered at TU Graz. Don’t hesitate to ask them questions!
  • The team at the International Office, and in particular your programme coordinator, can answer any questions you may have about your status as an exchange student.