The sensory quality of foods is one of the most important factors influencing a consumer’s decision to buy, as this aspect makes an immediate impression. Sensory testing as an approved testing method is therefore increasing in importance in many areas of food production. This course provides you with an introduction to this field. You learn about the theory and practice of the fundamentals of human sensory perception, the most important testing methods and the most important frame conditions for sensory testing.
- You learn the fundamentals of smell and taste perception.
- You focus on the most common sensory testing methods for foods and consumer objects – from the demands on the assessors and choice of method to the testing itself and statistical evaluation.
- You discover how to establish or improve the use of sensory testing as a testing and measuring method in your company.
The course consists of the following parts:
Methods for sensory
- Theory of sensory perception
- Demands on and training of assessors
- Designing a testing laboratory
- Relevant standards
Practical sessions (incl. statistical evaluation)
- analysis of foods
- Types of sensory testing
- Choice of methods
- Testing and evaluation
- Recognising basic tastes
- Threshold testing
- Recognising smells
- Recognising aromas
- Differentiation tests
- Ranking tests
An important part of this course is the demonstration of the most important standardised testing methods using different food samples.
Target Groups and Admission Requirements
People interested in the systematic sensory evaluation of foods.
For information on requirements, please contact barbara.siegmundnoSpam@tugraz.at