Federal government and public authorities and also the private sector offer a broad range of professional opportunities, which demand knowledge of mineralogy and hydrochemistry. This includes institutions for basic research and applied research at universities, with authorities and in industry in the field of materials science, the chemical industry and the refractory industry, as well as for exploration, extraction and processing of mineral resources. The career opportunities for students who have specialised in water chemistry are in the exploration of groundwater resources, water supply, the maintenance of drainage systems, the evaluation of the water quality and wastewater treatment.
Examples of employers of mineralogists and hydrogeochemists are:
- universities, colleges and research institutions
- mining firms and mining consulting firms
- consulting firms for mineral exploration
- the ceramics, refractory, chemical and binder industries
- consulting firms for water resources, water management and quality assurance
- public institutions
- planning offices for civil engineering.